The side dish of rainbow chard blended perfectly with the Four-M sauce. The acidity and sweetness of the Austrian Huber Wines Gruner Veltliner 2010 Hugo nicely cut through the thick sauce. The wine was wonderfully crisp. This was my second gruner veltliner and I think I will seek out this varietal as a character filled alternative to savignon blanc.
Four-M Chicken, with Mushrooms, Marsala, Mascarpone and Mustard
4 t olive oil, divided
½ lb boneless skinless chicken breast or thigh
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 t butter
¼ c chopped onion
⅓ lb cremini mushrooms
4 t minced garlic
4 oz tri-color fettucini
1 bunch Swiss chard
⅓ c dry Marsala wine
⅓ c mascarpone cheese
2 t Dijon mustard
2 t chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus whole sprigs for garnish
- Heat half of oil in large heavy skillet over high heat; season chicken with salt and pepper while oil heats. Cook chicken just until brown, about 2 min per side for thighs and 4 min per side for breasts; remove from skillet; tent with foil.
- While chicken cooks, chop onion and mushrooms.
- When chicken is out of pan, reduce heat to med-high; melt butter in same skillet. Saute onion until tender, 2 min. Add mushrooms and half of garlic; sauté until tender and juices evaporate, 12 min.
- While mushrooms cook, boil water for pasta; cook according to package directions. Rinse and chop chard across bunch into 1”-thick slices; pat dry; heat remaining oil with remaining garlic in second skillet over med-low heat.
- When mushrooms are tender, add wine; simmer until reduced by half, 2 min. Meanwhile, increase heat of second skillet to med-high; saute chard.
- When wine is reduced in mushroom mixture, stir in mascarpone and mustard.
- Cut chicken pieces crosswise into ⅓”-thick slices. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to mushroom skillet; simmer, uncovered, over med-low heat until chicken is just cooked through and sauce thickens slightly, about 2 min.
- Stir in chopped parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Drain pasta.
- To serve: place sautéed chard on one half of plate and pasta on the other. Top with chicken, mushrooms and sauce.