2-lb broiler-fryer chicken, whole or cut up
1 sm onion, peeled
1 carrot, scrubbed
1 stalk celery, scrubbed
1 bay leaf
1 sprig parsley
1 t salt
2 black peppercorns
¼ c oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
4 c chopped bell pepper
1 ½ c chopped onion
¼ c parsley
1 t saffron
1 ½ t paprika
½ t oregano
1/16 t ground black pepper
2 c white rice, uncooked
6 oz canned whole clams or 4 fresh clams in shells
8 oz raw shrimp
8 oz chorizo or hard Spanish sausage
- Carve raw chicken; refrigerate breasts, wings, thighs, and drumsticks.
- With remaining chicken bones, make stock in large soup pot: Cover bones with 2 qt water. Add peeled onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, parsley sprig, salt and whole black peppers; simmer until meat falls off bone and liquid is reduced to 1 qt, about 2 hr. Strain stock; discard solids. Return stock to pot.
- Meanwhile, in large frying pan, brown chicken pieces in oil.
- Add garlic, peppers and chopped onion; cook until tender.
- Stir in spices; set aside.
- When stock is finished, preheat oven to 350 F; bring stock to boil; add rice. Boil 10 min to start rice cooking (it will finish in oven).
- Transfer contents of soup pot to a large, deep roasting pan. Place hot chicken and vegetables on top of rice and bake until rice is tender, about 1 hr. Check after 30 min and add more liquid (clam juice, on-hand broth) if all is absorbed and rice is not soft.
- Meanwhile, scrub the clams, shell and devein the shrimp, and thinly slice the chorizo.
- When rice is tender, place clams, shrimp, and chorizo on top of mixture. Cover with a dome of foil and return to oven to steam for 15-20 min, until clams open and shrimp is fully cooked. Remove foil and serve immediately with a salad.