Sunday, July 29, 2012

Olympics Day 3: Russian Shchi

I'm really enjoying the volleyball. It was a great outing for the men's and women's US teams. I also loved watching the 16-year-old from my home town of San Jose, California, Ariel Hsing, win her match in table tennis.

Gail made a Russian cabbage soup called shchi for lunch. We noticed that so many of our international dishes included cabbage. We will look out for cabbage overload. Gail took her recipe from food.com. I think it is the caraway seeds that give this dish its distinctive taste. It is both savory and sour, really amazingly meaty for a dish whose only meat is the stock.

I poured a Russian beer to accompany the shchi, a Baltica #4 Original. The beer's dominant flavor was burnt caramel to match its color. It had a strongly sweet finish, with a very slight phenolic, Band-Aid flavor. Overall, it was a smooth and easy drinking beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment