Thursday, August 2, 2012

Olympics Day 7: A Bit of Everything

Spoiler alert. Actually, no, but I don't know why not. Tonight's results were spoiled for me at least four times today. I'll enjoy the events anyway, but come on people.

We made weisswurst for lunch. I browned them in a pan, then added some water to cook them through. If you need more recipe than that, I can't help you.

For dinner we started with a Ukrainian fish ball called tolcheniki. These were boiled and served on a bed of sauteed red onions. Our recipe only made two balls, so that dinner turned into a very nice appetizer. The flavors were very good, but a little bland. We think they would make a delicious fried fish cake, which would turn the flavors up a bit.

Gail had another dish nearly ready to go, so we added that to our meal. It was a Siberian pelmeni. Apparently, Siberians make hundreds of these things in the fall and store them outside over winter. Our recipe had the dough rolled to an eighth of an inch, and didn't go far enough to use all the meat. We are confident that thirty-secondths of an inch would do the trick. Gail cooked them three ways, boiled, steamed and pan fried, like Chinese pot stickers. The extra thick dough made it difficult to pick a favorite, but I liked the fried best.

My drink best fit with the weisswurst, but I held it off for dinner. I poured a German Aecht Schlenkerla Helles Schlenkerla Lagerbier. The straw color fooled me into expecting something lighter in flavor. It was quite bitter over a strong sweetness. While the sweetness lingered way too long, the flavor was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment